Music 2 Save Music Part 2

Family Saturday mornings look like this: wake-up, get the kids together, get skateboard and gear, breakfast in the car, drop Ari, my 6 year old, off at the skatepark, go get coffee, back to the skatepark, farmers market, lunch out, then come home. Today was different. We did the usual routine until the lunch part. My wife took Dahlia, my 8 year old, shopping with her BFF Gloria and I took Ari to the skate shop to get custom graffiti on his new deck. The shop was crowded with parents and kids with their skateboards leaning over a table of artists creating their masterpieces on freshly unwrapped boards. The owner and I have known each other from Saturday morning clinics and he asked me what was up? I started talking about my new position as a middle school music teacher and Music 2 Save Music. A few of the adults within ears distance started asking questions and we had a great conversation about the power of music and how wonderful this outreach program was. When I told them that I had just started the effort, and the 5/6 grade musicians at East and West Hills Middle Schools in Bloomfield Hills were going to lead the project, a buzz started throughout the store. Before I knew it, an artist was already sketching a logo for Music 2 Save Music on the paper covered table. I quickly purchased a skateboard so the logo could be inked onto it.

Left: Michael Medvinsky Right: Evan Guzman, Artist, aka. Xillix

Left: Michael Medvinsky                                                    Right: Evan Guzman, Artist, aka. Xillix

See the process here: http://instagram.com/p/d-QPPfodhi/

It was exciting to feel the buzz in the room (I wasn’t the only one who took a picture of me holding the Music 2 Save Music board). Another artist, Evan Wojtowicz, who had donated his own art for other fundraisers that support music, offered to come when the musicians plan to perform their original pieces at a concert, and paint live. He would then auction his pieces at the event to support Music 2 Save Music. Awesome! My first post about Music 2 Save Music has been retweeted quite a few times and I have been contacted by some of my tweeps, including my friend Ron Madison (@madison_ron) from Flint Schools, to share the process with their music staff.

Screen Shot 2013-09-07 at 10.21.07 PM

Things are moving fast. Many people asked me about a website or Facebook page. I guess I’d better get moving.